Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Harbingers of spring

The first day of spring doesn't arrive until March 20th this year, but I think I'm starting to see signs of it already. Yesterday, I watched a little bird hop all through the bare tree outside our kitchen window, as if looking for the perfect nesting branch.

In her (his?) honor, below are a few of my favorite avian finds spotted over the last few weeks. For those of you who know me, and make fun of my bird obsession, this post will surely come as no surprise!


Etruscan Revival micromosaic earrings depicting doves, circa 1885, at A La Vieille Russie in Manhattan.

Take Flight I and II, made of Scottish willow, by contemporary British artist Lizzie Farey.

A circa 1925 silvered-bronze sculpture designed by André Vincent Becquerel, at the Antwerp antiques firm Deconamic


And, for a little more fun, a short film on the making of Alexander McQueen's Bird's Nest Headdress for the Autumn/Winter 2006 collection:


No comments:

Post a Comment