Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Fall's bounty: new designs at Room & Board

Room & Board in Culver City's Helms Bakery District

Last week I had the good fortune to preview Room & Board's newest accessories, and got to see an old friend unexpectedly, to boot. It was a hashtag-happy kind of day.

Now, I've blogged about Room & Board before (to read the post, click here), so it's no secret that I'm a huge fan. It's a smart business, and offers intelligent, well-made and affordable pieces. We actually just bought the Reese sofa (no, I don't get blogger perks; we paid full price) and are beyond thrilled. Plus, the delivery guys were awesomecareful and polite. Cute, too.

I digress.

This fall there's a wonderful assortment of new, or newly expanded lines, as well as an exciting partnership with The Shade Store for some seriously chic window treatments. The lowdown on the accessories:

Eva Zeisel prints are now being offered in a smaller and more intimately scaled size (I like thisit feels more appropriate to her work) and their range of her ceramic designs (lighting, pitchers, etc.) is expanding, too. All of this is in partnership with dynamic duo at KleinReid, who will be adding to the tabletop line in the months ahead. You can bet I'll head back for some of those.


Hennepin Made (another design duo) in Minneapolis is doing a beautiful range of hand-blown glass pieces (I was partial to the olive green vases) and will be expanding their lighting collection, as well.



There's a limited edition series of prints by New York-based photographer Roberta Allenimages of objects she's found on the beach. Allen's work is already in major collections (ahem, MoMA), so adding her to your collection now for just $499 might be a smart move. (It's worth noting that she approached Room & Board about this collaborationwalked in and suggested ityou've got to love an artist who is not only talented but fearless!)



There are new silk-screen prints that reference (for the most part) historical or retro images, cheerful limited-edition prints from Lotta Jansdotter that almost make me wish I were decorating a nursery, and... my most favorite of the new fall pieces: textile designer John Robshaw's works on paper. They're big. They're colorful. They're textural. I've been a fan of his fabrics for ages, so to see him translate his aesthetic into a different medium is exciting. The limited edition blockprints are done in India on handmade paper. I adore them... just wish my photographs did them justice! Will post one to give a sense of scale, and then a few details below. Gorgeous stuff.

Robshaw's Nurpur blockprint

From left to right: Una, Shimla, and Manali


No comments:

Post a Comment